Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Gallbladder Posts

I've noticed that in the past few weeks my blog traffic has increased, specifically to my posts about my gallbladder surgery.

Here are some examples of the Google searches people are conducting:

21 year old with dysfunctional gallbladder
foods you shouldnt eat with a dysfunctional gallbladder
phantom gallbladder pains
dysfunctional gallbladder why do i need it removed?
dysfunctional gallbladders
gallbladder surgery blogs
gallbladder was chest pain everyday

I just want to encourage people who come across this to please feel free to leave comments! I will answer ANYTHING about my gallbladder surgery. I was SCARED. TO. DEATH. of mine because of the fact that I conducted so many Google searches beforehand and read so many horror stories. They were not realistic.

Today is 3 months + 4 days post surgery and I feel 99% better. I only experience pain in my surgery site when I eat foods that are VERY greasy, and it only lasts for a few minutes. This is the only reason I am not saying I am 100% better. I also ate 4 ounces of french fries last week with no consequences.
I am also back to running regularly and lifting weights with no pain. I feel absolutely amazing. If you have a dysfunctional gallbladder like I did, don't sweat it. Just get the sucker removed and you won't regret it.

5 comments:

  1. Gallbladder stones (aka gallstones) are deposits of hardened bile that collect in the gallbladder. The liver produces bile, a thick substance used in the digestion of fats. Bile is made up of cholesterol, water, proteins, bilirubin (a breakdown product from blood cells), bile salts (the chemicals necessary to digest fat), and small amounts of copper or other materials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Megan, thanks for this post. My question is that what is gallbladder sludge ? I didn't read this from your posts. Are you familiar with this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan, thank you for your blog posts! I am scheduled in for surgery in a few weeks..and scared to death. I've lost sleep due to hours bawling my eyes out just thinking about the process and what recovery will feel like. I guess my question to you is, how unbearable is the pain after? I can deal with aches and the feeling of discomfort in the form of "did 100000 crunches during last workout"...but sharp and "just sliced with a knife" pain I won't be able to deal with! and how horrible is it to get up and moving from lying down etc.? ...can you tell I'm stressing? hehe thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I UNDERSTAND YOUR FEAR! :D
      I promise you... the pain after the surgery was bearable. If you have the gas pains from the air they blow inside of you during the procedure, then my advice to you is to just get up and walk around. Your nurses will help you if you are sore. I had some nausea but it was most likely from the anaesthesia and pain meds on an empty stomach. Just ask your doctor for a prescription for Zofran along with the pain medication they call in. However, most people do not have nausea so you might be lucky and be fine. :)
      Personally, I feel like the pain I had after getting 2 wisdom teeth pulled was worse. YOU WILL BE OKAY! The internet is full of people who had terrible experiences and make everything seem so scary!

      Delete
    2. Also, I developed sphincter of oddi after the procedure which is also rare. I just have terrible luck. However, my GI doctor prescribed me 10 mg of Nortriptyline a day and that has 100% cure the chronic pain I have from that condition. This, coupled with the surgery of removing my gallbladder, was worth it. The pain, discomfort, and bizarre GI-related issues I had related to a dysfunctional gallbladder made me miserable and my body is so much happier with out.

      Delete