Monday, April 25, 2011

Jillian overload!

Let me start this post by saying that I (or my husband) certainly don't have any problems when it comes to eating healthy. But I've decided to take it a step further and try to eat a whole food diet for the next four days.

My goals are:
1) Eat nothing but whole foods starting today until Friday morning
2) See if I feel any different during the course of this experiment
3) Take this experience to learn how to incorporate an organic and whole-food diet into my current diet to give myself an even cleaner diet

I've been using Jillian Michaels' Master Your Metabolism cookbook as a guide (thanks Eliz!). I absolutely love Jillian so much. She has taught me so much about living a healthy lifestyle, both physically and mentally. All from either watching her shows, reading her books, or using her workout DVDs.

Last night, here is what I made:
- Grilled Lemon Chicken: From Jillian's cookbook. DELICIOUS! The marinade contains fresh lemon juice and zest (I got my lemons from an organic produce market down the road), olive oil, dijon mustard, honey, basil, and a few spices. I marinated a few pieces of chicken breasts and then had Chad grill them on our George Foreman. Then you top them off with extra marinade and kalamata olives. Even Chad thought this was a delicious meal.
- Russet Potato Salad with Arugula and Lemon: Her book suggested to make this as a side dish with the Grilled Lemon chicken. Yeah, I'm basically obsessed with this dish. I used 2 russet potatoes, arugula leaves, and celery, all organic and locally grown. The potato salad dressing consists of fresh lemon juice and zest, red wine vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, and some spices. Very delicious.

For lunch yesterday, I made:
- Mediterranean Tuna Wraps: Also from Jillian's book. Unsalted tuna fish, mixed with some olive oil, a hard boiled egg, and spices. Folded into a whole wheat flour tortilla and topped with organic alfalfa leaves. Very good! but it wasn't very filling... so I made:
- Guacamole: I'm very particular about guacamole, and was very surprised that Jillian's very simple recipe turned out to be so flavorful. I got two avocados, 1 fresh tomato, 1 red onion, cilantro, and some spices and lime. I bought some pita chips to eat it with. I can't wait to eat some more of this tonight!

For breakfast this morning, I ate:
- Chocolate Oat Muffins: From Jillian's breakfast chapter. These muffins are amazing. Contains honey instead of sugar, whole wheat flour instead of white, dark chocolate chips (60% cocoa), rolled oats, chopped walnuts, orange zest, and other spices. One muffin = 170 calories and they are so flavorful and delicious. They are much better than eating a granola bar.


Tonight, I'll be making Pasta with Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes in a lemon-yogurt sauce, and No-Cream "Creamed" Spinach, both from her book. I'll also be making Banana Blueberry muffins, to compliment to Chocolate Oat ones I already made.

I'll update tomorrow with my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment