Monday, June 3, 2013

Complications

So, I have been feeling great and than I had something happen. The area where my gallbladder used to be started hurting. Very suddenly one morning on my way to work. Unlike on a normal day, I couldn't find a correlation between this pain and food. And it kept getting worse. Therefore, I kept getting anxious. I was scheduled to fly to West Virginia for Memorial Day, so I went to Urgent Care to get to opinion of a doctor and find out if this was something ER worthy. I HATE going to the ER and will do anything to avoid it. The doctor didn't believe it was anything, told me it was probably a stomach bug. I asked her to please test my pancreatic and liver enzymes. In my head, I was thinking that if they came back fine then I would know it was probably unrelated to my gallbladder removal. They took my blood, told me to have a safe trip, and said they would call me when they had the results. Two days later, I get a call and my liver enzymes were perfect. However, my pancreatic enzymes were elevated. Granted, they weren't SUPER high (lipase = 416, amalyse = 140), but it was enough to where she suggested I get an ultrasound of my bile ducts when I got home to make sure I didn't have a gallstone or some other blockage that was pissing my pancreas off. When I got home from my trip to West Virginia, I called my primary physician and he agreed to have me come in and talk to him that afternoon. He called my increased pancreatic enzymes "pancreatitis" (that sounds so scary!!!) and referred me to a GI doctor with the recommendation of getting an EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy). He was glad that I had this mild episode of pancreatitis documented. I also had a repeat blood test, which showed that my lipase was back to normal (200) and that my amalyse was at 136 (only 6 above normal - practically normal). So whatever was going on with pancreas went away almost as fast as it showed up. Jeez, man. I went to visit a GI PA and talked to her for a while. She then relayed all of my information to my GI doctor, who suggested that I might have 1 of 2 things: 1) A gallstone. I don't believe this. When Dr. Vierra removed my gallbladder in 2011, he told me that I had absolutely no gallstones. However, just because I didn't have them then doesn't mean I might not have one now. When you no longer has a gallbladder, and your liver develops a gallstone, it will just sit in your bile ducts, therefore causing a blockage of pancreatic enzymes and pain. For doctors, this is the most probable cause of post-cholecystectomy pain. They see very often so I don't blame them for thinking this is the cause. They are just going by statistics. It's just hard for me to believe. 2) Sphincter of oddi dysfunction. In my crazy mind, this is what I have convinced myself that I have. I have read a lot of about it on the internet (because obviously the internet is the best scholarly resource ever... ha!) and I feel like this fits my symptoms better than a gallstone. This is where your bile ducts "spasm" and can cause pain and the slow down of bile, sometimes resulting in pancreatitis or liver problems. It can come and go. I'm not really sure how this is treated. I have read a lot of inconsistent blogs about how people had their SOD dysfunction treated. Bottom line: on Thursday, I am going to the hospital as an outpatient to had an EGD performed. This is where I will be placed under general anaesthesia and my doctor will stick a tube down my throat into my stomach and take pictures of my insides. By looking around, he will be able to determine if I have a blockage in my bile ducts. If I do, then he will then perform something called an ERCP (Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography). This is when he will be able to insert dye into my bile ducts and take an ultrasound. He then will be able look at whatever is in there and treat it right there on the spot. If he initially looks around and finds nothing in my bile ducts, then it's probably a safe bet that I have SOD. I have no idea what happens after that, but hopefully they can come up with a treatment plan if it does turn out to be SOD! As always, I have a million things I am anxious about. Here is a list: 1. When googling other people's ERCPs experiences, I read nothing but horror stories about how people ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks with severe pancreatitis as a result of the procedure. This freaks me out. It is said that ERCPs are always the most successful when you have them done by someone who is specially trained in the procedure. My doctor (Dr. Michael Mendoza) is apparently an expert in these procedures. According to his LinkedIn (yes, I am a stalker), he actually trained other people who do to ERCPs at UCLA. Maybe this means I won't get pancreatitis again (but much worse this time) and I can just go home after I wake up from the procedure. Before my gallbladder surgery, I googled it constantly and read a bunch of horror stories but I turned out fine. I hope I have the same experience this time. 2. I have to be put under general anaesthesia. I already had this done when I had my gallbladder removed, but I am scared of throwing up. The first time, I was only a little nauseas and then was okay and ate the evening after the procedure. But then the next night, I threw up all night... and again for almost 3 days until my surgeon called me in a prescription for nausea medication. I don't know if this happened because my entire digestive system was like "WHERE IS THE GALLBLADDER? I DONT KNOW HOW TO WORK ANYMORE AHHHH" and just threw up or if was residual from the anaesthesia. Either way, I don't want to throw up again for 3 days. 3. What if they look inside me and find a scary tumor and I have cancer and I am going to DIE AHHHHHHHHH. I know, this is very very unlikely. But seriously??? What if they do?? I just want to know I am healthy. :( In the meantime, ever since my visit to the GI doctor, I have restricted my diet to less than 10g of at per meal. Most days I don't even eat 20g of a fat a day. After about 2 days of this, I feel 98% better. Despite the results of this test, I have decided that this is my life now and I am going to have to eat this way for a while. In a few months, maybe I'll try to reintroduce more fatty foods in my diet and see what happens. I will update this blog after my test and hopefully my experience can help someone else who might be having the same problems as me. Thanks! :-) --Megan

4 comments:

  1. Ohhh, Megan! This is Gallbladderless Karen again - wish I had read this sooner, but as we speak, I'm sending positive vibes your way. I *SO* get your fears - every freakin' one of 'em - because they run thru my head like tickertape just about every day (and not just about my health, either!!). It sounds like you're proactive about your health, and that's SUCH an important thing - I commend you for that, 'cause not many people are. I wish I had something incredibly spiritual/profound/awesome to say that would help, but my thoughts and prayers will have to do. I could knit something for you, if that would help...I'm a Knitting Fiend. I know you'll be concentrating on your healing for a while, but please do let us know how it went and how you are. You are doing the right thing. Be well... -Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again Gallbladderless Karen (haha!). I went through with my EGD and the preliminary findings were that my bile ducts were fine, however they did find the onset of stomach ulcers. I have a follow up Wednesday (June 12th) with my GI doctor to find out the biopsy results of the ulcers and anything else they found. I'll update my blog when I find out everything. In the meantime, my stomach hurttttttttsssss and I hope hope hope that these issues I'm having are unrelated to my gallbladderlessness and that you don't have these problems in the future. :)

      Delete
  2. Almost identical symptoms and experiences prior to surgery, except my HIDA scan came back normal and my EGD came back positive for Chronic Gastritis (breeding ground for those ulcers you have). Little to no improve not with treatment and constant pain in that right rib...they are removing my gall bladder on Wednesday. Scared out of my mind! I've never been under the knife and never taken pain medications. What if they take it and it doesn't help?! Exhausted and frustrated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine use too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine,I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that i have received my herbal medicine so he instructs me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cure my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituahebalcenter.com. Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
    He listed to that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer, Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete